Monday 21 November 2011

The Down Low on Microdermabrasion

As you all know by now I am a sucker for any beauty treatment that promises results, especially when it comes to problem skin, so it was no surprise to those who know me when I embarked on a course of microdermabrasion, the miracle skin rejuvenation treatment…sounds perfect hey!
Unfortunately growing up I wasn’t blessed with the best of genes and suffered like a lot of teenagers with mild acne. I was always very self-conscious and when my skin was bad I would do anything to not have to face the outside world, that’s dramatic to say the least but it really knocks how you feel about yourself…now most people assume that this is a phase and you will grow out of and luckily for most that’s true but for the minority of people who have to carry on and suffer with adult acne its horrid.
So 2 years ago I decided enough was enough and booked myself on a course of intense microdermabrasion and glycolic acid peels.
Us women are constantly bombarded with images of the ‘perfect women’ and if your anything like me I would sit and compare myself, analyzing everything about what I looked like, which is obsessive and destructive. The fact I had (and still have) a loving fiancĂ© who would always compliment how I look went over my head and I just focused on the negatives.
My first appointment at Face2Face was amazing. Julie, the owner, was incredibly knowledgeable and made me feel at ease, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect and Julie explained the whole process and how going forward the treatments would rejuvenate and alter my complexion.
I have to strongly emphasize that there was no pain involved only a little tingling, if there was the slightest chance it was going to hurt I would have vanished out the door.
Julie started off by gently cleaning my face, which was very relaxing, the entire time explaining step-by-step what was being done.  Next came the glycolic peel, which isn’t as scary as it sounds. A solution (glycolic) is gently applied to your face and is only left on the skin until it starts to pinken. Any more than this and the skin would strip and blister. The acid is taken off and this in all honesty is the only part you might feel a little uncomfortable as your skin is quite sensitive, everyone will react differently but as I said it doesn’t hurt, it’s just strange, hot and tingly.
Next comes the microdermabrasion itself. It’s quite hard to describe the sensation of the treatment, the only think I can liken it to would be a mini hoover which sucks on to your face. As it moves around the tiny device fires diamond particles on to the skin surface which gently and harmlessly stripes a layer or two, effectively taking the dead skin off. The skin is then soothed and moisturiser applied. This is such a simple and effective treatment which only lasts about 30 minutes and costs apround £45, which isn’t bad when you consider a facial at a salon would cost around that much and only gives you half the benefits.
Afterwards you will look like a baboons arse or at least I did. It’s more than likely your face will be red and slightly blotchy. I’d advice never to have the appointment on a day you want to go out as applying make-up takes away all that hard work and benefits of the treatment. I’d also suggest, saving embarrassment, not to go to the shops straight after. One time I thought it would be wise to go to Matalan and the amount of looks I got was ridiculous and when the cashier asked if I was ill I wanted the ground to swallow me up!
I have had the treatments now for over 2 years, on and off and at the end of it my skin (apart from the odd spot) is amazing, so microdermabrasion really does help. I wouldn’t say it would clear your skin problems solely, you do need to keep up good diet, exercises and in some cases medication but in my opinion (which is obviously subjective) it’s amazing and well worth investing in.
On a closing note we women should really promote self-love (the innocent kind) and embrace who we are. It’s about time we stopped looking in magazines comparing ourselves to the over airbrushed skinny ‘role models’ we see and learn to love who and what we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be honest, but not harsh :-)